Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book #1: The Girl on the Train - by Paula Hawkins

So here it is, 1 book down, 51 to go!

I'm going to keep reviews short. A few thoughts, room for discussion. Certainly not planning on writing 52 essays!

The book: The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins

Started: June 8th
Finished: June 8th

Wasn't feeling well, allergies blew up on me and I needed a distraction so I read, and as my wife will testify (with more than a little jealousy) I'm a pretty fast reader!

So, back to the book.

 The Girl On The Train is a thriller, not my usual book choice. My wife had read it on a friend's recommendation and so it became number 1,

This book doesn't feel like a thriller as you read it, It's a picture of broken people trying to find meaning and maybe hope. The characters feel real and believable. They're well written and they pull the reader along as the story unfolds. Hawkins manages to keep the tale down to earth. It's gritty and personal, with little embellishment or hyperbole. The plot has twists and turns but it's more of a slow untangling of the threads story.

It's a well written, enormously satisfying read.

Thoroughly enjoyable, and highly recommended.

I'll give it 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment